Dick Whittington – By Peter Denyer
Show dates: December 12 – 16 including a Saturday matinee
- Audition dates – all held at the Nomad Theatre, Bishopsmead Parade, East Horsley, Surrey KT24 6RT
Sunday 11 June – 2pm / 7pm – please book a slot
Monday 12 June – 7:30pm – please book a slot
Sunday 18 June – 7pm – open auditions
Monday 19 June – 7:30pm – open auditions
We need dancers / singers / actors – small parts and principals, as well as a Musical Director.
Get in touch with Artistic Director, Andrew Hamel-Cooke now to express your interest – and2hc [at] gmail [dot] com or sign up on our Facebook event – www.facebook.com/nomadtheatre/events
Rehearsals are usually 1 evening per week (to be determined by majority vote & availability) and Sunday afternoon/evenings. Likely to run from mid-September, with additional hours near to opening.
- King /Queen Rat – M/F – an imposing presence, requiring a strong actor, can be played “straight” baddie!
- Dick Whittington – principal boy/girl – must have charm, talent and energy, starting sweetly and ending with hero status!
- Idle Jack – the comedy part, age not important, this role employs crooked logic and story-telling capabilities as well as being comfortable engaging directly with the audience.
- Sarah the Cook – Dame (ideally) – a great all-rounder who can act, sing, dance and be a comedian. A big, bright, bold character!
- Alice Fitzwarren – principal girl – a good actress, this role is a quick-witted and street-wise London girl with a sense of adventure.
- Fairy Bow Bells – like a kind of fairy godmother, ideally a strong singing voice.
- Tommy the cat – non speaking – this actor/actress should be able to be understood by the audience by only meowing! Central to the whole story, must have a strong friendship rapport with Dick.
- Alderman Fitzwarren – a warm an generous man with Alice as his daughter, must be strong enough to weight the dramatic scenes well.
- Captain Cuttle – should be a strong singer with a good sense of comic timing to ensure he can carry the show in certain moments.
- The Sultan of Morocco – not a large part but nicely showy-offy, the performance should be big and bold and the actor shouldn’t be afraid of an outrageous accept. Subtlety not required here!
- Gnawbone – a rat lieutenant & Gnashfang – another rat lieutenant – villains with two short scenes, could be male or female. Distinct rat movements and ensuring the audience hate them is important!
- King Neptune – optional – to be played seriously, a mysterious character.
- Sailor 1 & Sailor 2 – well, they are sailors, any age, male/female!
Musical Director – in the past we’ve been lucky to have some great MD’s. Usually they also play keys and can direct a bass/rhythm and drummer… but if you’re a drummer who can work with a guitarist, or have other ideas about set-up, please let us know!
For more info –